Online Sharing of Your Medical Images
Why Use PowerShare?
Inova makes it easy for you to share or request a copy of your images electronically or securely upload your medical images to PowerShare™, as a service to you. Once you set up a PowerShare account, you can:
- Gain access to the images you’ve asked Inova to upload to your PowerShare account
- Access your images from anywhere, at any time, with any device
- Upload and share non-Inova image studies with Inova
- Share your images with doctors and specialists as needed
- Upload past exams from personal CDs to your account
Inova requires its patients to authorize the release of image studies. This is an additional step to ensure your privacy.
All Internet communication between your web browser and the PowerShare network is encrypted to make sure that no one can see your medical information. This information will never be disclosed or used without your consent. Your medical records will never be accessible to anyone except the people you have specified. The access you grant to others can be revoked at any time.
For the best experience, it is recommended that you use Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge browser.
How to Access Your Images and Start a Powershare Account
Written authorization is required for release of your medical records, including digital images. Once you have provided authorization, you will receive an email with a link to PowerShare to access your images.
Authorization steps for first-time users or authorizations older than 6 months:
- Download and complete the Authorization to Release/Disclose Protected Health Information Form (English) | (See additional languages).
- Attach and email your authorization to the Inova Diagnostic Imaging eFileRoom.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Communications via email over the internet may not be secure. Although it is unlikely, there is a possibility that information you include in an email can be intercepted and read by other parties besides the person to whom it is addressed. Once received, lnova shall take every precaution to maintain adequate physical, procedural and technical security with respect to our offices and the information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure or modification of the user's personal information under our control.
Download Authorization Release Form
2. Register and Login to Powershare
- Once your authorization has been processed, you will receive an email from Nuance PowerShare Support. Follow the link to access the PowerShare registration page. Complete all required fields, check all boxes and click the “Continue” button.
TIP: Store the login page at https://www1.nuancepowershare.com as a ‘Favorite’ in your browser to simplify future access.
- After registering and logging in you will arrive at the PowerShare home screen.
- Click the tab labeled Images in order to access your images.
- Select the image(s) you would like to view by clicking on the thumbnail of the study. The clinical viewer will appear in a separate window.
- When you are finished viewing your images, after clicking the “X” to close the image, be sure to also click Sign Out in the upper right to end your session.
3. Share Your Images
- When logged into PowerShare, from the Images tab, select the image you want to share and choose Copy from the menu options on the right.
- You will be prompted to confirm the image copy at a $0.00 cost. Select Confirm and the process will begin to transfer this image to your account for the purpose of sharing with others. You will receive a message upon completion.
- Once the copy is complete, the image will become part of your My Images folder and will be enabled for sharing. Select the image and choose Share these Images from the menu on the right of your screen.
- Select Search for a new contact to locate the recipient. An Advanced Search will display. You must select the category of either Facility, Physician or Patient and optionally complete any additional fields to refine and expedite your search. Click Search.
- Select Share for the correct recipient.
NOTE: There are 3 possible status associated with a contact:
- In your contacts – already a connection; will be able to view your image once you click ‘Share’
- Not in your contacts – in PowerShare but not a connection; clicking ‘Share’ will trigger the invitation process
- Not in PowerShare – does not have a PowerShare account; clicking ‘Share’ will trigger the invitation process
- Select all check boxes and click Invite in order to request a connection and share your image with this recipient. The recipient will need to confirm your request and will then have immediate access to the image you have shared.
4. Upload Your Images to Inova
If you want to share images of studies that were taken outside of Inova, you may upload your images to PowerShare.
- Access PowerShare's Easy Upload tool.
Enter your email address or phone number.
Click Send Authentication Code to receive an authentication code
By providing your records in advance, we will have a chance to better prepare for your appointment. For Additional questions or requests, contact PowerShare Technical Support by email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-866-809-4746 or by fax at 1-404-549-5458.
Other Ways to Access Copies of Diagnostic Imaging
Copies of diagnostic imaging studies can be obtained electronically, in person, or via regular mail.
All imaging requests must have an authorized release of information form completed and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Inova Schar Imaging Library Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. For questions, call 571-472-0301
- Inova Fairfax Hospital Imaging Library Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. For questions, call 703-776-3240