Neurosurgical Expertise for Complex Neurosurgical Conditions
Our top neurosurgeons treat the full spectrum of conditions affecting the brain, spine and nerves.
We are authorities in the fields of spine, vascular, peripheral nerve, tumor, skull base, neurotrauma and functional neurosurgical care.
Who and What We Treat
We confront the rarest symptoms, performing the most complicated surgeries as well as more commonly occurring neurosurgical conditions. Often, we engage in technically demanding procedures that help save lives and bring hope to adults and children.
We always offer the least invasive options first and recommend surgery only when necessary. We fast track urgent appointments and provide second opinions. We work across our health system using an integrated approach to provide coordinated care before and after surgery.
Nilesh Vyas, MD, Section Chief, Inova Neurosurgery, covers the five most important things to know about Inova Neurosurgery.
One of the Country’s Most Advanced Neurosurgical Practices
We have state-of-the-art facilities with advanced technologies including awake brain surgery, computer-aided navigation, deep brain stimulation, image-guided surgical navigation, intraoperative CT, intraoperative ultrasound visualization and ablation, fluorescent-guided tumor visualization, interventional MRI, NeuroPace, robotic-assisted neurosurgery, and MRI-guided laser ablation surgery.
Endovascular neurosurgery, neurointerventional surgery and interventional neuroradiology are interchangeable terms for a cutting-edge medical subspecialty that combines minimally invasive techniques from neuroradiology and neurosurgery to effectively treat vascular conditions of the central nervous system, including the brain, spinal cord, head and neck. These highly specialized procedures are performed in our state-of-the-art neurointerventional suites, situated at the Inova Fairfax Medical Campus, which holds the distinction of being certified as a Comprehensive Stroke Center, the highest level of stroke certification attainable from The Joint Commission.
We continually seek to make surgery less invasive for our patients using a suite of state-of-the-art surgical technologies for minimally invasive spine surgery. Our hospitals’ spine centers feature spine robotic surgical equipment, spine augmented reality, and FDA-approved surgical instrumentation for use in planned and emergency surgeries alike. We also coordinate with Inova Rehabilitation Services and Inova Pain Management professionals for pre- and postsurgical care coordination. This allows for a complete, integrated approach, especially if pain management or rehabilitation could be needed before or after a surgical procedure.
Brain and Spine Cancer
The providers at Inova Neurosurgery are integrated with Inova's Brain and Spine Tumor Program and Inova Schar Cancer Institute for those patients with specific metastatic brain and spine care needs.
Compassionate, Integrated Care
We work together, reviewing cases as a comprehensive, multidisciplinary care team to ensure each of our patients has complete care before, during and after surgery. We also work closely with referring primary care physicians as well as general and specialty neurologists, so each patient’s personal care team needs are included in the care plan.
Why Trust Us?
More than 100 area hospitals and healthcare centers transfer patients to us for neurosurgical care. Patients also come to us from across the U.S. and seek us out from countries across the globe.
- Inova Neurosurgery is the largest neurosurgical group practice in the Washington, DC, metropolitan area.
- Our total clinical surgical volume of more than 3,500 cases is among the highest in the area.
- Each neurosurgeon is board-certified/board-eligible, many with advanced fellowship training in key specialties and/or dual degrees.
- Our neurosurgeons participate in clinical and laboratory research to advance lifesaving treatments for neurological conditions.
- All of our neurosurgeons routinely contribute to prestigious neurological journals, either through original research or serving as editor/reviewers.
- All Inova Neurosurgery neurosurgeons are part of the nationally accredited resident teaching program to educate the next generation of neurosurgeons.
While neurosurgery as a field dates to 1889 and the first professional association, The World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies, to 1955, neuroscience continues to advance by leaps and bounds. It's important that modern health systems adapt to the field’s evolution by investing in the latest technologies for patient care. Our team has quickly emerged as an elite team at the forefront of medical care including access to a neurosurgical ICU within our hospital system.
We have a remarkable group of physicians who advance the practice of neurosurgery with technology, research, clinical trials and an integrative care model featuring the largest team of neurosurgeons in Northern Virginia. Many of our neurosurgeons are award decorated. Please refer to each provider’s Inova Find a Doctor profile (type in name) for a complete background review.
Because of this focus on excellence, we were able to launch a neurosurgical residency program. Today, we are one of only 121 out of 6,000 hospitals nationwide that are approved and accredited to train the next generation of neurosurgeons.
Some of Our Firsts:
- First neurosurgical practice in Northern Virginia to conduct MRI-guided brain surgery to implant DBS electrodes for Parkinson's disease.
- First in Northern Virginia to conduct MRI-guided brain surgery using laser ablation to eliminate an otherwise inaccessible brain tumor.
- First neurosurgical practice in Virginia to use xVision™ for treatment of spinal pathology. The xVision is an FDA-approved augmented reality surgical navigation system, which allows surgeons to visualize the patient's 3D anatomy during surgery as if they had "X-ray vision." This leads to accurate and safe placement of spinal implants, which in turn results in safe, efficient and less invasive surgery as well as faster patient recovery.
Learn more about our Neurosurgical Procedures and Treatments
- Our multidisciplinary team includes physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and clinical navigators who work together to seamlessly deliver high-quality care.
- Each Inova hospital sponsors a support group for brain injury survivors.
- Brain Health and Wellness Programs for patients of Parkinson’s Disease, brain/spine trauma, and stroke.
Inova Neurosurgery is home to highly trained doctors, surgeons and specialists committed to providing the best care, tailored to each patient's needs.Learn More
Concerned about your brain or spine health? We work with the latest treatment options to provide cutting-edge diagnosis, treatment and management strategies to help you to have the maximum health possible.Learn More
We have clinic locations conveniently located throughout Northern Virginia so that you can get to us easily.Learn More
Inova Neurosurgical experts provide second opinions for conditions of the brain and spine. Doing so can be invaluable to your peace of mind in determining the correct diagnosis and best care plan for you.Learn More
Our neurosurgeons are board-certified/eligible, and fellowship trained to provide you expert care for your condition. Concerns of immediate need can be seen within two business days.Learn More
Inova Neurosurgeons specialize in the neck and back and comprehensively treat all spinal conditions, with or without surgery. Appointments can be made within two business days.Learn More